Dementia Care Services
Caring for a family member or loved one at home can be accomplished through the assistance of an experienced Caregiver and family members who learn and support the necessary structure required to manage these diseases.
SHS provides annual training in the most recent protocols in Dementia care to all our Caregivers. This training includes:
- Encouraging independence for as long as possible – encouraging the client to do whatever they can do for themselves and assisting at the point that it becomes necessary
- Using routines that allow tasks to be done at the time of day when the client seems the least confused and/or more cooperative
- Maintaining flexibility
- Staying relaxed and calm with the client
- Queing the client to remind them of what will be happening next
- Encouraging participation in activities and social events
- Using music or pet therapy (client’s own pets) to calm/comfort clients who become overwhelmed or anxious
- Using a gentle approach in all contact and communication with a client
Many SHS Caregivers have worked with Dementia clients for years – and love the unique challenges and rewards this work offers. Our Client/Caregiver matching system ensures that a client with Dementia will be paired with an experienced, compassionate, and knowledgeable Caregiver.